The canal is like the heart of the community that shelters an abundant ecosystem with high diversity as a source of fresh water, brackish water and brine.Also, with its seasonal tides, it gives its shoreside plantations plenty of nourishment to be rich and fruitful all year round.
It’s a tranquil community, located in central Thailand and approximately 15 kilometers from Trat city. The community has formed for over three hundred years, while the villagers have lived along Huai Raeng canal for many many generations.Huai Raeng is also considered one of the most abundant canals in the world and won the award for outstanding community in tourism from Tourism Authority of Thailand in 2007.
- Enjoy fresh fruits and juice on arrival
- Take a boat tour of the canal and learn how locals rely on its richness to their benefits
- Hop into the canal for a refreshing swim
- Hang out at the community center to learn local crafts like soap making, sticky rice desserts, or refine your own fresh virgin coconut oil
- Visit fruit orchards and get to taste exotic fruits like durian, mangosteens, and rambutans
- Get adventurous and hike into the woods with locals and rangers
- Wake up early for a round of alms giving and merit making when the monks stroll by
- Four total meals and beverages
- Homestay accommodation with local host family (each room sleeps 5)
- Basic activities fees
- Thai Cultural Show
- Local Guidebook by Local Alike
- Accidental coverage insurance
- Local community guide (English speaking)
- Alcoholic beverages
- Repeat of certain activities
- Pick-up and drop-off from main Trat points of interests (Refer to price list)
- cell service
- mosquito net
- electricity (220v)
- comfy mattress
- Hygiene Essentials Kit
- postal service
- shared toilet
- seated toilet
- These are suggested activities within the community. The guideline itinerary can be subject to change or switch due to weather, access, local events, guests’ fitness and time management. Substitute indoor activities will be provided if the main outdoor activities cannot run properly
- All additional activities are not included in the standard package price. Additional cost as listed will be charged accordingly.
- Travel insurance is compulsory in order to participate in a Local Alike trip, therefore we include it in our standard package.
- Community based tourism is highly flexible and these are merely suggested things to do. Talk to us and let us know how we can help you craft your once-in-a-lifetime experience at Huai Raeng.
- Ask for permission when you are taking photographs. Don’t treat people here as exotic figures but get to know them and build lasting relationships.
Meet Say hi to Jam and Nidnoi, our field expert.
Huai Raeng is lucky to have them
Jam is an owner of rubber plantation and a member of Huay Raeng CBT. Jam is friendly and eager to learn new things all the time. She is one of the community members who believe that tourism can be a means to develop the community and solve the problems as well. Moreover, tourism is a part of creating unity in her community. Nidnoi is from Bangkok but he moved to Huay Raeng to make a business of orchard and live sufficiently. Nidnoi is a secretary of CBT group so he loves to talk and exchange things with people. Though he was not born in Trad, He loves this place as much as others do.
Pick-up and drop-off point
Additional pick up from
Trad bus station or other interest points in Trat
Depart for Huai Raeng Village
We leave from central Trat by private van to arrive at the Huai Raeng Village.
Arrival and Welcome Ceremony
Disembark and meet your host, locals, and the village headman at the Huai Raeng community center. It’s an elevated open-air house used for festivities or reception. Take a sip of the freshly prepared fruit juices or hot herbal tea and listen to locals introduce you to Huai Raeng Village.
Story Sharing Session
Community based tourism is about the two-way interaction between travelers and locals. After hearing their stories, don’t be shy to share a little about yourself. Share with locals what you expect from the trip so they can prepare one of your most memorable travel experiences.
Join the tour through the Huai Raeng river surrounded by lush green fruit orchards, palm trees, and coconut trees. When the weather is at its best, this river cruise gives you an amazing scenic ride with the vibrant natural colors contrasting each other. Learn about how locals make use of the palm tree through its different stages of growth -- from cigarette paper to hats to desserts.
Traditional Thai Cultural Show (additional)
As part of the community based tourism’s goal to enable local youths to earn pocket money, the village gathered talented youths to form this dance group. Enjoy the lively performance before dinner.
Home Cooked Dinner with Friends
Gather around for dinner. You could be using the table or they may invite you to form a circle on the floor for a more authentic experience. Food at Huai Raeng is one of the best we have ever tasted. Combining fresh local produce with their exciting palette of flavors, Huai Raeng food always draws us back for more.
Every morning, monks arrive at the Huai Raeng Village by crossing the narrow suspension bridge. Locals prepare and share food to the monks as an act of merit making.
Cooking Class with Grandma
This activity must not be missed. Huai Raeng boasts a smart and eco-friendly way of packing food. Most importantly, grandma will teach you how to make a really simple yet delicious fried rice dish to-go.
Visiting the Fruit Orchards
According to the locals, fruit orchards here are abundant because of the rich river. Up your fruit vocabularies with unique and exotic Thai fruits.
Lunch is Served in a Leaf
Enjoy the dish you learned to make just a while ago. After being briefly wrapped in sun dried betel leaves, the rice now exudes a light aroma of betel.
Leaving the Village
Leave behind lasting memories and feel inspired by the local Huai Raeng way of life. Exchange contacts and be sure to send back photographs and postcards. The men, women, and youths who run the community based tourism program at Huai Raeng are all ears when it comes to feedback of your experience -- so let them know about your stay!