Baan Hua Tung is a small community located at the foot of Doi Luang Chiang Dao and about 85 kilometers from Chiang Mai city. Among a unique environment of alpine forest, here provides habitats for many indigenous species which are not found elsewhere.
With a current population of around 450 in 150 houses, Baan Hua Tung is a small friendly hamlet where everyone contributes to conserving the natural biodiversity of the area. Community members have worked together to establish a “community forest” which has become well known across the country. Their forest has been protected by the rules of the community and by the significant traditional ritual, namely "forest ordination". The village has received many awards, recently was awarded a model village for conservation and ecotourism from the Ministry of Tourism and Sports of Thailand in 2012 and was presented the Zero Forest Burning Award from the Pollution Control Department as well as won the Green Community Award of Chiang Mai the same year.
- Trek in the “community forest” and learn how locals join forces in their conservation effort
- Bathe in the natural hot spring at the neighbor village
- Get creative and learn the local craft of bamboo weaving
- Enjoy a well-deserved Thai traditional massage at your homestay
- Learn Thai cooking and teach locals how you make dishes in your hometown cuisine
- Speak with local leaders and youth group for an engaging cultural exchange session
- Four total meals and beverages
- Homestay accommodation with local host family (each room sleeps 5)
- Basic activities fees
- Local Guidebook by Local Alike
- Transportation to/from major Chiang Mai points of interests
- Accidental coverage insurance
- Local community guide (English speaking)
- Traditional dance performances (70 USD for three shows)
- Entrance fee for Doi Luang Chiang Dao (hiking)
- Alcoholic beverages
- Repeat of certain activities
- Pick-up and drop-off from major Chiang Mai points of interests (Refer to pricelist)
- cell service
- mosquito net
- electricity (220v)
- comfy mattress
- postal service
- shared toilet
- Laundry service
- Please manage to arrive at your pick-up point before 10 am so there is ample time to enjoy the activities and sceneries at Hua Tung Village.
- These are suggested activities within the community. The guideline itinerary can be subject to change or switch due to weather, access, local events, guests’ fitness and time management. Substitute indoor activities will be provided if the main outdoor activities cannot run properly
- All additional activities are not included in the standard package price. Additional cost as listed below will be charged.
- Travel insurance is compulsory in order to participate in a Local Alike trip, therefore we include it in our standard package.
- Community based tourism is highly flexible and these are merely suggested things to do. Talk to us and let us know how we can help you craft your once-in-a-lifetime experience at Hua Tung Village.
- Hua Tung Village is open all year round. However, the month of June is when most of the traditional rituals like “watershed merit making” and “forest ordination” take place. Please contact us for the specific dates.
- This community gets very lively during Thai holidays like Songkran or New Year and may not be suitable for those seeking a quiet getaway.
Meet Meet Khun Dang, our field expert.
Khun Dang or Peee Dang was born and raised in Northern Thailand. She moved to lived in England after she got married. However no place feels like home so she moved back and devote herself to help her village manage community-based tourism. She has brought all skills that she have gained while she was in the foreign country to adapt with the village development.
Pick-up and drop-off point
Additional pick up from
Chiangmai’s point of interest ( Bus or train station, airport, city’s center)
Pick up by private van from any of Chiang Mai’s major points of interests (bus terminal, airport, hotel). Please contact us for special arrangements.
Arrive at Hua Tung Village with warm greetings from the village headman and the village’s leaders in community based tourism. Get together for a small icebreaker to better understand Hua Tung Village and its people.
Checking In at the Homestay
Meet your host family and get settled in at your homestay. We believe that language is an arbitrary boundary and anyone from anywhere in the world can find ways to communicate and empathize with each other. Enjoy a light Northern style home cooked meal prepared by your host family.
Exploring the Local Ways of Life
Walk around the community with your host or your designated local guide. Meet and greet with your neighbors and let the surroundings sink in through your senses.
Hua Tung locals produce really delicate bamboo baskets and other wicker wares. Join this workshop to make one for yourself as souvenir.
Later in the afternoon, book a Thai massage session with a masseuse. Let her soothe your pains so your body can experience a well-deserved reset.
Wherever you’re coming from, if you love to travel then you probably love to enjoy food. That’s why we prepared this cooking class for you to learn the staples of Northern Thai cuisine. If you’re an avid cook yourself, don’t shy away from teaching them some of your secret recipes!
Northern Thai Style Dinner
Settle in and gather around the dinner table for the home-cooked meal prepared by your host family. Exchange stories and engage in meaningful cultural exchange.
“Bai Si” Welcoming Ceremony
Participate in the auspicious ceremony performed by Hua Tung Village’s elders.
Cultural Show (Additional)
End the night with a lively dance performance choreographed by the locals and performed by the village’s youth group.
Alms Giving and Merit Making
Get up early in the morning for a chance to make merit by sharing food for the monks who walk by every morning. Join your Buddhist neighbors in one of the most fundamental gestures of the religion.
Trekking to the Waterfall
Hua Tung Village boasts an amazing backdrop of mountains where you can trek through and arrive at the Nam Ok Ru Waterfall. The “community forest” is an abundant place where locals can teach you all about Thai herbs and the rare plants.
Leaving Hua Tung Village
Leave behind lasting memories and feel inspired by the local Hua Tung way of life. Exchange contacts and be sure to send back photographs and postcards. The ladies who run the community based tourism program at Hua Tung are all ears when it comes to feedback of your experience -- so let them know about your stay!
Stopping by the Hot Spring
We make a stop at the Yang Puto Village to enjoy their all natural hot spring. It’s a great way to release the toxins in your body and an opportune time to let your mind relax and introspect on your Hua Tung experience.
Return to Chiang Mai
We leave the Chiang Dao district by private van for downtown Chiang Mai.