This Akha village enjoys beautiful foggy mornings all year followed by a relatively cool climate throughout the day.t is also home to the Akha people.One of the unique hilltribe with fascinating well-preserved cultures and untouched nature
Hloyo (pronounced Law Yo) Village is situated on the Doi Mae Salong hills close to the Myanmar border. This Akha village enjoys beautiful foggy mornings all year followed by a relatively cool climate throughout the day. Hloyo comes to life in the evenings when locals gather for music, food, and bonding. Characterized by their hospitable nature, Hloyo gatherings are led by indigenous instruments played by locals who always dress up in decorative traditional Akha costumes. During your stay, you may get to learn to make one of the costumes or maybe you might prefer to learn basket weaving. This community relies on its surroundings for food and basic livelihood. Join villagers on their favorite trail for foraging the freshest herbs and vegetables and stop by the stream for a fresh catch. Hands-on experiences are what this village is about.
- Visit Hill tribe local market and tea plantation
- Enjoy fresh tea tasting and enjoy the scenic views
- Forage fresh vegetables, herbs, and fruits from the forest
- Cook traditional Akha dishes with locals
- Craft and make creative goods from bamboo
- Get your hands on to make tribal crafts such as bamboo weaving and Akha embroidery
- Trek in the forest and join locals catch fish in the stream with your hands
- Work in a farm with the villagers
- Teach the kids basic English and let them take you out to explore the village
- Four total meals and beverages
- Homestay accommodation with local host family (each room sleeps 5)
- Basic activities fees
- Local Guidebook by Local Alike
- Accidental coverage insurance
- Local community guide (English speaking)
- Traditional tribal dance (50 USD per show)
- Alcoholic beverages
- Repeat of certain activities
- Pick-up and drop-off from major Chiang Rai points of interests ( Refer to pricelist )
- cell service ( In some area )
- electricity (220v)
- comfy mattress
- shared toilet
- seated toilet
- These are suggested activities within the community. The guideline itinerary can be subject to change or switch due to weather, access, local events, guests’ fitness and time management. Substitute indoor activities will be provided if the main outdoor activities cannot run properly
- All additional activities are not included in the standard package price.
- Travel insurance is compulsory in order to participate in a Local Alike trip, therefore we include it in our standard package.
- Community based tourism is highly flexible and these are merely suggested things to do. Talk to us and let us know how we can help you craft your once-in-a-lifetime experience at Hloyo Community.
- Ask for permission when you are taking photographs. Don’t treat people here as exotic figures but get to know them and build lasting relationships.
Meet You can call him “ James ”, our field expert.
The best storyteller you will ever meet
He is the Chairman of the Coordination Centre for Tour Guides and Homestays in Chiang Rai. He speaks 7 languages, including English, and is of Chinese-Arkha-Lahu descent. He is a professional tour guide and an engaging story teller, and is particularly fond of telling historical and cultural stories. Mr. Saipetkorsakul founded the community-based tourism project in his village, a grassroots development project designed to improve the quality of life for local people, as well as to preserve their traditional culture for the future generations.
Pick-up and drop-off point
Additional pick up from
Chiangrai’s point of interest ( Airport, Bus station, city center)
Pick up from Chiang Rai bus station, railway station or airport.
Enjoy journey not just Destination
Visit hill tribe local market and tea plantation. Visit tea factory, let do some tea testing where there are various kind of tea are waiting for you to try!
Doi Mae Salong now and then
Get to know a little bit of local history and the history of Doi Mae Salong.
Welcoming to the village
Arrived at Hloyo Village, Greeting from the village headman and villagers.
Check in the homestay
Meet your host family and get to know them better.
Local Way of Life
Take a tour exploring the community and their local lifestyle together with youth local guide. At this time you will see traditional bamboo house where local people use their local wisdom to build their own house. Get you hands on tribal crafts with locals and the kids.
Pick up some vegetable, herbs and fruits from the forest and bring back home to cook Akha dish. Learn how to cook Akha style dishes and helps your host cook.
Dinner with the host family
Enjoy home-cooked local dinner together with your host and exchange stories.
Cultural show (additional)
Trek in the forest to see beautiful landscapes and formations of the pristine nature. Visit the local farms and speak with locals along the way. Learn how to make use of natural resources in the forest and appreciate how human, animals, and the environment co-exist.
Farming with local buddies
Join locals grow and harvest their crops of the season. Understand the ecosystem and get your hands dirty while locals teach you the benefits and uses of each plant.
Say goodbye and exchange ideas with your host family, the community, and the new friends you’ve made at Hloyo Village.
Head back to Chiang Rai city
Leave Hloyo Village and return to the foothills of Mae Salong. Return to Chiang Rai city to your drop-off location.