One of our very first partner projects, Suan Pa was once a drug route that has since transformed into a drug-free and very tight knit community. This place is a hidden treasure nestled in the beautiful forest of Chiang Rai, Thailand.
Suan Pa village, located at the foot of Doi Tung Mountain, is home to the Akha tribe. It is surrounded by the natural beauty of the forest and mountains. If you enjoy trekking, Suan Pa village is perfect for you, as the area boasts 3 waterfalls as well as forest trail. While visiting Suan Pa, you will learn about the Akha way of life, and experience the unique cultural dances.
- Trek through the lush green forests and past beautiful waterfalls
- Learn how to survive and prepare your own food in the jungle
- Get your hands busy helping locals pick up trash
- Sing Akha songs and learn the Akha dance with locals
- Stop by a local farm to learn how they sustain with the sufficiency philosophy
- Chat with local elders and youths about their stories of transformation (language is not a barrier!)
- Two total meals and beverages
- Basic activities fees
- Accidental coverage insurance
- Local community guide (English speaking)
- Alcoholic beverages
- Repeat of certain activities
- Homestay accommodation
- Pick-up/drop-off from Chiang Rai points of interests (Refer to price list)
- Cell service (in some area)
- Electricity (220v)
- Shared toilet
- These are suggested activities within the community. The guideline itinerary can be subject to change or switch due to weather, access, local events, guests’ fitness and time management. Substitute indoor activities will be provided if the main outdoor activities cannot run properly
- All additional activities are not included in the standard package price. Additional cost as listed below will be charged.
- Travel insurance is compulsory in order to participate in a Local Alike trip, therefore we include it in our standard package.
- Suan Pa is a small community that is in the process of moving on from its past into a better future where youth and elders turn their beautiful home into a community based tourism village. We suggest that you follow the simple guidelines below:
Community based tourism is highly flexible and these are merely suggested things to do. Talk to us and let us know how we can help you craft your once-in-a-lifetime experience at Suan Pa Village.Ask for permission when you are taking photographs. Don’t treat people here as exotic figures but get to know them and build lasting relationships.
- Appropriate attire is expected (not showing too much skin)
- Don’t litter and keep the place clean, even better if you can help pickup trash
- Respect nature, don’t collect things from the forest
Meet Say hi to Archai, our field expert.
Local youth leader, future changemakerHis homestay is located near a waterfall and is surrounded by nature. He lives with his mother, brother, niece and two adorable puppies. Archai welcomes all guests with a smile, a helping hand, and delicious traditional cuisine. He knows Suan Pa like the back of his hand, and is the perfect person to take you on a guided tour of the village!
Pick-up and drop-off point
Additional pick up from
Interest points in Chiangrai city
Depart from Chiang Rai
We will pick you up with our private van from any major points of interests in Chiang Rai. It’s approximately two hours by car from the city to Suan Pa Village.
Stopping by the Doi Tung Cottage Factory
En route to Suan Pa, we will stop by the Doi Tung Factory. Run by Thailand’s foremost social enterprise and foundation, Mae Fah Luang Foundation, you will be introduced to the local weaving group, the ceramic factory, and coffee processing factory.
Arriving at Suan Pa Village
Meet your local host and get a brief of what’s happening for the day. Your host have prepared a light homemade lunch for you to bring on your trekking route. Get ready for the adventurous trek coming ahead.
Into the Woods
We let you pick your desired trekking route based on their difficulty and your physical fitness. Your trekking guide will take you into the wild where the woods of Suan Pa over tower us and the streams flow along the paths. Learn about the ecosystem and how locals make use of their natural resources to their benefits. Moderate difficulty: Agricultural, village, or herbal garden hike Hard difficulty: Trek towards the waterfall
Return from your Hike for Social Good with a welcoming dinner. It will be an Akha styled one that is very popular among travelers who stop by. Cherish the day and prepare to depart for Chiang Rai.
Return to Chiang Rai
Your private van awaits to send you back to wherever your next adventure is.