The Mae Salong community is well-known for magnificent views, landscape and its people. The people in this community engage in growing crops and tea which is renowned as one of Thailand's best tea. Visitors will enjoy cool mountain breeze all year round while learning unique lifestyle of each hill tribe.
Mae Salong Homestay offers you an intimate relationship with nature. The region is surrounded by mist, mountains, and beautiful tea plantations. During the short Thai winter, you can enjoy blooming white and pink cherry blossoms. Many different types of accommodations are available, including a hill-tribe bamboo house, standard rooms, as well as plenty of space for camping. It is the best way to experience the traditional way of hill tribe living.
- Live like a hill tribe by learning their culture and partaking in games
- Horseback riding into tea plantations
- Appreciate the cherry blossoms during winter
- Trek through the jungle and arrive at many of the waterfalls
- Taste one of Thailand’s best Oolong tea and learn the process from locals
- Find some time to visit the Great Pagoda or Chinese Military Museum
- Watch the live multi-tribe dance performance
- Learn all about the Kuomintang descendents
- Four total meals and beverages
- Homestay accommodation with local host family (each room sleeps 5)
- Basic activities fees (including horse riding)
- Local Guidebook by Local Alike
- Accidental coverage insurance
- Local community guide (English speaking)
- Multi-tribe dance performance (50 USD per show)
- Alcoholic beverages
- Repeat of certain activities
- Pick-up and drop-off from major Chiang Rai points of interests (Refer to pricelist)
- cell service ( In some area )
- electricity (220v)
- comfy mattress
- shared toilet
- seated toilet
- These are suggested activities within the community. The guideline itinerary can be subject to change or switch due to weather, access, local events, guests’ fitness and time management. Substitute indoor activities will be provided if the main outdoor activities cannot run properly
- All additional activities are not included in the standard package price. Additional cost as listed will be charged additionally.
- Travel insurance is compulsory in order to participate in a Local Alike trip, therefore we include it in our standard package.
- Community based tourism is highly flexible and these are merely suggested things to do. Talk to us and let us know how we can help you craft your once-in-a-lifetime experience at Mae Salong.
- Ask for permission when you are taking photographs. Don’t treat people here as exotic figures but get to know them and build lasting relationships.
- If you partake in trekking activities, please follow the signs and local instructions for your own safety. Remember, collect memories and nothing else. :)
Meet Meet Yohan the Changemaker, our field expert.
Creating value through tourism
Yohan intends to preserve Akha culture as it will be a reminder for the future generations. He built a museum that collects the memories of Akha. The collection includes ancient tools made of earth and many other indigenous products. His museum also serves as tourist service center.
Pick-up and drop-off point
Additional pick up from
Chiangrai’s point of interest ( Airport, Bus station, city center)
Pick up from Chiang Rai bus station, railway station or airport.
Explore Chiang Rai
Before we reach the Mae Salong Village, we’ll let you stop by the Black Temple of Chiang Rai (Baan Dum). It’s a cultural park where you will see the arts of Northern Thailand.
Akha Style Lunch
Your hosts are taking you to lunch before arriving at Mae Salong Village. Join your new friends around the table for a delightful meal filled with chatter. This is the best time to get to know your hosts.
Welcoming to the Village
We arrive at Mae Salong Village and gather in the community center to meet the village elders and leader. Savor the hot cup of Oolong tea the locals are offering as welcoming drink.
Local Way of Life
Let your local guide take you around the village and nearby. Visit the Mae Salong School that acts as the youth center for children from surrounding tribes. Experience the Akha way of life. Engage with the local farmers and join children in their simple games.
Dinner Under the Stars
Mae Salong boasts amazing weather all-year round, it’s really the perfect place for outdoor dining. Anticipate a warm and comforting family-style dinner.
Returning to Your Homestay
Depending on what you choose, you’ll return to your bed feeling fulfilled. We wish you take this time to introspect and prepare for a great day tomorrow.
Wake up early morning to the rolling fogs that rushes onto the Mae Salong hills. We’ll ride to the tea plantation. Afterwards, we can play in the stream and shop at the Mae Salong market.
Luncheon at Akha Alor
We visit a local restaurant called Akha Alor to try some Chinese-inspired Northern Thai food. Everytime we visit, we make sure we don’t miss out!
Say goodbye and exchange words with your host family, the community, and the new friends you’ve made at Mae Salong Village.
Head back to Chiang Rai city
Leave Mae Salong Village and return to the foothills of Mae Salong. Return to Chiang Rai city to your drop-off location.